WHO WE ARE
The origin of “Society For Caring The Needy” (SCAN) by group of likeminded social development professional emerged under the mentorship of our beloved late Mr. Joe Homan, UK, a dedicated pioneer who worked for more than 50 years in the various rural areas of Maduari region in Tamil Nadu for the under privileged and marginalized. His contribution in promoting holistic development of the rural communities through Education services to children by establishing children homes, Special reference to girl child education and abolishment of female infanticide, Youth development activities through pre-vocation and skill training, Assisting rural people in agriculture based livelihoods, etc., were the fundamental inspiration for establishing SCAN in Tiruvallur District of Tami Nadu.
SCAN is non Governmental, Non political and Non profit organization registered under Tamil Nadu societies registration Act 1975 (Tamil Nadu Act 27 of 1975). SCAN has 15 members out of whom seven are Executive Committee Members.
SCAN as an organization has been focusing on promoting health and sanitation, empowerment of rural women by organizing them as Self Help Groups (SHGs), supporting and assisting them with livelihood endeavor through income generating activities, skill development for youth, Watershed management programs for land and water conservation, fostering special focus for person with disabilities and vulnerable communities, empowerment through convergence and partnership with Govt. departments and other organizations since 2013. Mentoring youth to undergo skill training, conducting short term skill training, extending support services to other institutions.
“Improving and enhancing the quality of life of women, children and youths for poverty reduction and prosperity”
- Mainstreaming inclusion, capacitate and nurturing community institutions for collective empowerment,
- Facilitate physical and mental well being through community institutions by awareness raising, Interpersonal Communication support, community led social behavioural changes,
- Promote income enhancement and economic development of households through skill enhancement and employment opportunities,
- Convergence and Partnering with Government/Non Governmental and other agencies to assist the last mile service deliveries to the unreached.
- Mainstreaming social inclusion with Special focus to Women, Children and Youth
- Formation and nurturing Community institutions
- Developing social capital
- Income enhancement and Economic development through livelihood initiatives and access to finance.
- Sustainable approach on developing and brining dignity and quality of life to the poor household communities.
- Partnership and Convergence for facilitating last mile service deliveries
Comments are closed.